Monday, July 30, 2012

Going to India "Awesomeness"


Going to India "Awesomeness"







I am traveling to India in September on a mission trip and I am pretty excited for what God is going to do during my visit. In preparation for my journey I decided to do some research on Indian etiquette and custom to avoid being a fish out of water and I found some interesting things that I felt like sharing on my blog. Here are some fun facts I learnt.

India is a country with four major religions originated, and many Indian people take their religion very, very seriously. So travelers especially females are not to wear shorts, revealing clothing and it’s crucial to keep their shoulders and the lower part of your body covered when visiting a site of religious importance. Also when entering some ones home or a temple you are expected take off your shoes and leave them outside. This is because feet are consider dirty in India and it is an insult to step on some ones important items with your feet if you do you have to apologize at once. It is also an insult to point you feet directly at a person or to point you finger or hand at anything.

Speaking of the use of your hands the left hand is customarily used for cleaning oneself after defecation, so Indian people never eat with their left hands. Also you most never pass anything with you left hand. Doing this with money or a gift is a slap in the face. It is also good to know that Indians eat with their hands and the right hand is what you would use to eat.  Note to self, while I am in India my left hand is no longer functional lol.

Indians are very friendly and social people so expect that you would be questioned about your own lifestyle quite rigorously. One of the first questions you would be asked is your marital status. Unmarried woman like myself in their 20’s are shown pity. That’s culture for you lol.   You will also be very likely be asked about your family, your position in life, even your salary. It is impolite to get offended, since this curiosity works both ways, and an Indian known to be very happy to answer your questions about their culture and personal life.


P.D.A between men and women is considered impolite or even offensive. Yet it is quite common to see Indian men embracing or holding hand this is a sign of friendship. When in public it is impolite to whistle this custom I am totally down for because not everyone is a good whistler.  


There are a lot more customs to follow but I only selected the ones I jumped on to me. Stay toned for the after visit post and photos,



No comments:

Post a Comment